Monday, January 14, 2008

Another Contagion

I could not just read Dave Kenner's post on censorship. I feel it needs to be taken up by us bloggers.

Aside from my visceral opposition to Anastasia and her scissors, I am strongly opposed to religious-inspired warmongering. Rather than censoring or ignoring such a message, newspapers in the Arab world should have taken up the ad (and the money that paid for it). And no, the well known, outrageous myopia of the ad's sponsor is no excuse, and since no one has a monopoly on terror, we risk becoming as bankrupt as our "Opinion Leaders", I feel we Lebanese bloggers should fight such censorship with all means available, and therefore take up this ad (for a short while; they don't pay us), especially considering the abyss we're facing. I am no beady-eyed peacenik, and I have no illusions that this will be taken up by others. But consider this;

1- Aside from the f
act here is no honour in attacking civilians, God does not need you to blow up her "enemies"; he can do that herself... Or better yet, he can make sure her enemies are not even born. So if you're looking for a place in the hereafter, get ready for a surprise... So, better brush up on thermodynamics.

2- To those who do not find the first argument convincing, recall that you don't win a war by dying for your country; you win a war by making sure the other poor damn bastard die for theirs...




Still, before you go all "Patton" on me, consider this other fact; since you cannot guarantee that you're not killing a Flemming, future Einstein, future Mozart.. better not start a war.
...



If you're still egged on by testosterone and yearn to kick some ass, take up Rugby; a hooligans' game played by gentlemen...
...That gives pacifists a reason to kick your ass...

5 comments:

Super Dude said...

Not to lessen the noble cause, but persecutions and large scale atrocities are crimes against humanity, what did the UN do about it?

So really what do you want the UN to do about this one? Ink on paper? Tried in absentia (he already spontaneously exploded so)?

That'll stop them!

Jeha said...

SuperDude,

Good point. But I have to admit to a hidden agenda here.

Who knows, during the "bazar" about the text, there is a strong possibility that some words would appear about the "state-sponsored" kind. It will do little against those wannabe "dynamiteros", but it could make their sponsors think twice. Who knows, it would then be harder for some to hide behind media bias or "collateral damage". The dormant Libertarian in me would not mind seeing state's powers of coercion a tad diminished; Il duce (no) sempre ragione...

Viva La Fai!

Sam said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Super Dude said...

Jeha,

Yes, I had the same line of thought as you. Turn up the heat on the sponsors, but then I dismissed it as wishful thinking for the reasons mentioned. A precedent has been set to show that it will not produce the desired outcome. It will be just a waste of resources.

Sam, if you are really serious about thanking the Syrian regime, I recommend you send them a post card and a bouquet to show them that you are really serious. I doubt they will see you message on this blog. They have better things to do than read Jeha's nail. Otherwise, you are coming off as the biggest bayid tanajir in the history of bayyideen tanajir. In fact, I temporarily lost my vision it was so bright and shiny.

Jeha said...

SuperDude,

You will note my particular rudeness "censoring" our brown-nosing visitor. I keep deleting him not because of his proficiency with kitchenware cleaning, or his skill at flying the odd elephant around, but because he has yet to apologize for his past insults towards myself and others.

No one has to agree with me, but we should all recall that one person's freedom does stop at the door of another's...

On a more productive note; you have a point, indeed. Still, one has to remain optimistic. You never know; I was skeptical when my friends were struggling to establish their "do-gooder" groups, but many of them succeeded... It only takes one.